Ugh and Double Ugh

Apr 14 2016 Published by under Uncategorized

Email received:

Dear Colleague,

My name is Nicole and on behalf of Cyagen Biosciences I would like to invite you to enter our latest contest!

Would you like to help Cyagen break the stereotype of nerdy scientists and show the world that smart is sexy? If so, then please enter our "Smart is Sexy" calendar competition today! To enter, visit the official contest page and submit photos and a brief description of yourself and your research. You are qualified to enter if you are a member of the scientific community, whether a grad student, technician, post-doc, PI, or something else entirely.

Twelve men and twelve women will be selected as winners to be featured on our 2017 calendar entitled "Sexy Men and Women of Science", to be widely distributed through our extensive marketing networks. Winners will receive five free copies of the calendar plus 50% off (up to $1000) their next order at VectorBuilder.com or Cyagen.com; while runners-up will receive two free copies of the calendar plus 40% off (up to $400) on their next order at VectorBuilder.com or Cyagen.com. Plus, the infinite fame and glory of being featured on the calendar! Deadline for entries is August 1, 2016, so enter today!

Best,Nicole Shellard

Marketing Outreach Coordinator

This is wrong. This is very very wrong. When did how we look become important?

Update: lots of speculation on getting the douchebag who wrote this fired. All I can think of is what I wrote in this post. Well-meaning douchebags with the empathy and emotional breadth of a gnat.

• drugmonkey says:

Gak

• GFD says:

I got this email too

• Sam says:

I think we should flood them with "interesting" pictures.

• joatmon says:

Why is the site so pink? That decreases my interest in submitting my photo.

I can see a lot of people having fun and covertly entering the PI or their grad student buddies in this. It's already doing the rounds among students here - pictures of persons dressed in white coats (and nothing else) with "OMG teh science sexxy haxxorz!!!1!111" emblazoned in LOL-cat font.

The more ridiculous the entries are, the faster the marketing douche who thought up this idea will get fired.

• BugDoc says:

@Ola: "I was thinking of doing a pic' in my tighty whities, laying across the bench with some beakers of colored liquid, but the labbies said my man boobs were too big to photoshop out, so it was a non-starter."

This totally made my day. If it was "Awesome Men & Women in Science" with images like the above instead of "Sexy....", that would be excellent!

• KQ says:

Looks like they went through with it. I just received the following email:

Good morning!

Cyagen Biosciences is excited to announce that our 2017 "Smart is Sexy" calendars have arrived! The calendar features over 160 researchers from around the world, and 12 months of promotions for Cyagen's animal model services as well as custom vectors, virus packaging, and cloning services from VectorBuilder.com.

Pick up a free copy by visiting Cyagen at any of our upcoming vendor shows and seminars, or click here to request a free copy for your lab!

Please contact me if you would like a list of upcoming shows/seminars for the month of December Cyagen will be attending.

Kind regards,

• […] while ago I had something to say about Cyagen, which I titled "Ugh and Double […]