Follow up to Study Section

Oct 16 2017 Published by under Uncategorized

We always get a short questionnaire following study section: did it work well, was the expertise appropriate, etc. This year there was an interesting set of questions (with radio buttons to rank):

Meeting Logistics

The availability of caffeine and light refreshments would make face-to-face study section meetings more efficient.

The availability of caffeine and light refreshments would increase the likelihood that I would serve on upcoming panels.

My response to NIH:

I'm old enough to remember when there was caffeine and light refreshments. It has always seemed to me to be kind of stingy not to do this. For heaven's sake, do you think the paltry honorarium we receive compensates for the time we spend? It's less than minimum wage for the time I put into proposals. I do this because I am committed to the process, because I have benefited from the process, because I believe it is important. The idea that coffee would be a bribe, or that a bowl of candy would change my votes is absurd, and insulting.

We had an amazing chair a few years ago, who would always go to the local coffee shop and buy a couple of boxes-o-joe out of his own pocket. Ridiculous that he had to do this, but it did help with the 3pm fade that usually occurs.

• DrugMonkey says:

Ok but Potnia this survey is not really trying to find out if people are genuinely motivated by cheese Danish. It is to get some data to use try to get the refreshment budget restored. Play along for goodness sakes!

yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. Can't I be a grumpy old lady *once in a while* ???? (and yes, I did play along and do my bit for the team).

• Luminiferous aether says:

"The idea that coffee would be a bribe, or that a bowl of candy would change my votes is absurd, and insulting."

This!

• pyrope says:

Also - are proposals more likely to get lower scores when panelists are hungry? Not beyond the realm of possibility... http://www.pnas.org/content/108/17/6889.short

• Arlenna says:

Haha I just answered that same survey (and the one about sex as a biological variable) yesterday too, and am currently at study section. 🙂 I played along, for sure. Even I remember when there used to be coffee and snacks--my first couple of meetings, right before they stopped.

• Grumpy says:

Both of the nih panels I served on this ear had free coffee throughout. had to pay for food though.